About the role
St Ives Library is a vibrant, busy library set in the heart of the local community. We are looking for a friendly, enthusiastic and versatile person to create a welcoming environment for a diverse range of customers.
You will have excellent customer service and IT skills, enjoy working with members of the public and have the ability to handle day to day enquiries with confidence. You will be able to demonstrate good communication skills and the ability to work under pressure. You should be creative and pro-active, helping to expand the services and activities we have on offer.
Staff from St Ives library support a wider team which includes Ramsey and Warboys libraries.
This post is based in St Ives library but flexibility will be required to work in our cluster libraries in Ramsey and Warboys.
For more information or to chat about this opportunity please contact email@example.com
Interviews to take place week commencing 4th Dec 2023
What will you be doing?
Life in the library:
- Assisting customers with enquiries
- Promoting our broad range of services to the local Community both within the library and to a wider audience.
- Working with the team to deliver activities and events to people of all ages.
- Managing our book stock.
- Assisting customers with IT queries.
- Supporting volunteers in their roles to enhance the service.
- Promoting our meeting rooms.
- Working in our cluster libraries to support lone working teams.
- Taking payments.
- You will be passionate about what public libraries can offer, and able to promote our services.
- You will strive to offer excellent customer service, dealing with a wide range of enquiries on a daily basis.
- Be confident working on your own using your initiative.
- Have excellent communication and digital skills.
- Be able to work with volunteers and partners
- Be able to quickly master the varied aspects of library routine, including front line customer care, using the library management system, the self-service machines. handling cash and managing and maintaining our stock.
- You will be confident to deliver a wide range of activities to our local community.
- Training will be given on specific library systems, but an ability to work with IT is essential.
To be considered for this post you must clearly demonstrate in your application how you meet each of the essential criteria for this role.
Although library experience is an advantage, we would also like to hear from candidates who have demonstrated exceptional customer service skills in other contexts.
Please note that library work is physically demanding; see the Job Hazards information for more details.
We value our colleagues in Cambridgeshire County Council and have developed a number of benefits:
- Flexible working
- Flexible Bank Holidays
- A comprehensive wellbeing package
- Our Cambs Rewards employee discounts
- A comprehensive pension scheme
- IDEAL staff equality, diversity and inclusion network.
- Camweb our staff intranet helping to keep you informed
- An employee recognition scheme
Cambridgeshire is a great place to work and live with a diverse population, an urban centre in Cambridge, historic Isle of Ely, Huntingdon and St Ives as well as more rural landscapes.
Our four values are central to our culture, driving everything we do.
We are proud to serve the diverse communities of Cambridgeshire and want our workforce to be reflective of this diversity, which we believe benefits our employees, the organisation and our communities.
Visit our jobs and careers section to find out more about our wide range of learning and development opportunities; apprenticeships; our wellbeing package; staff benefits; our commitment to equality, diversity and Inclusion.