About the role
Are you looking for a new challenge? Do you want to pass on your passion for the Outdoors? Do you want to work in a rewarding environment focussed on the development of yourself and others?
Our full season contracts are from March 2024 and will run until the end of October 2024. We often offer the opportunity for seasonal staff to extend through November and occasionally the whole winter.
We also have a variety of shorter contracts and 0-hour contracts that can work around other commitments to suit you.
Our Instructors are responsible for providing high quality outdoor learning experiences to our customers, whilst ensuring the safety of all participants. This will involve delivering a range of land and water based activities, as well as ensuring all parts of the customer visit run smoothly. You may also be required to be on-call overnight on occasions.
Please see the attached Job Description for further info.
About Grafham Water Centre
Grafham Water Centre is a popular Outdoor Education Centre based on the shores of Grafham Water reservoir in Perry, Cambridgeshire. We are a lively and busy residential centre catering for a wide range of school and youth groups as well as offering courses for both adults and children. We also cater for corporate and conference bookings. At the heart of all our work is our vision to change young people’s lives.
The closing date for this position is November 26th at midday. Please note, we will only contact applicants after the closing date has passed.
Successful applicants will be subject to Enhanced DBS (CRB) Check and Medical clearance before employment commences.
For an informal discussion about the position, please contact Rob Kinsella or Will Dowling via email at firstname.lastname@example.org or William.email@example.com to set up a time to chat.
What will you be doing?
To ensure the development and safe delivery of quality programmes of Outdoor Adventurous Education to groups and individuals that visit Grafham Water Centre.
1) Programme (10%)
- To ensure the safe delivery of quality programmes of Outdoor Adventurous Education in a friendly manner, suitable to the needs of the group.
- To ensure that the highest standards of quality in instruction are maintained.
- To assist in the preparation of sessions and help develop activity programmes.
- Supporting Managers and other members of the team in welcoming groups and individuals during their stay.
2) Instruction (80%)
- To deliver quality programmes of outdoor education as required.
3) Maintenance (10%)
- To assist in the maintenance of activity equipment and bases.
4) On Call
- To be on call as required within a rota and to assist with retailing.
5) Health and Safety
- To understand and implement the health and safety policies of Grafham Water Centre and Cambridgeshire County Council.
- To perform other tasks as requested by the Chief Instructor/Head of Centre.
We are looking for dedicated and motivated individuals who are committed to developing themselves and others. They must be focussed on delivering the best service to our customers – a smile and a sense of humour are a must!
We will be looking for the following in our ideal candidate:
- A passion for outdoor learning.
- At least one of the following Instructor qualifications: RYA Dinghy Instructor, RYA Start Windsurfing Instructor, BC/UKCC Level 1 Canoe/Kayak Coach or Paddlesport Instructor, Single Pitch Award/Rock Climbing Instructor or Climbing Wall Award/Instructor, ERCA Traditional instructor
- Valid First Aid qualification.
- The ability to provide safe, purposeful and fun sessions that meet the needs of our clients.
- Able and confident to communicate well with both adults and children.
Please see the attached Person Specification for further info, and explain how you meet the criteria in your application.
We value our colleagues in Cambridgeshire County Council and have developed a number of benefits:
- Flexible working
- Flexible Bank Holidays
- A comprehensive wellbeing package
- Our Cambs Rewards employee discounts
- A comprehensive pension scheme
- IDEAL staff equality, diversity and inclusion network.
- Camweb our staff intranet helping to keep you informed
- An employee recognition scheme
Benefits specifically for Grafham Water Centre staff:
- 37 hour annualised hours contract. Some evening and weekend work will be required. We also have a range of part time and sessional contracts available to suit your availability.
- Starting pay of £1,752 per month. (£21,030 per annum) Increasing based on performance. There is a national pay review currently happening to decide on the pay rise for these jobs.
- Additional payments for on-call duties.
- Subsidised on-site food and accommodation available.
- 25 days paid annual leave pro rota.
- Regular staff training sessions during the season.
- Free access to Centre courses (subject to availability)
- Training on in-house activities
- Training/shadowing on activities to help reach NGB standards.
- Free use of Centre facilities and equipment in your own time.
- Reduced price access to Centre activities and courses for your family.
Cambridgeshire is a great place to work and live with a diverse population, an urban centre in Cambridge, historic Isle of Ely, Huntingdon and St Ives as well as more rural landscapes.
Our four values are central to our culture, driving everything we do.
We are proud to serve the diverse communities of Cambridgeshire and want our workforce to be reflective of this diversity, which we believe benefits our employees, the organisation and our communities.
Visit our jobs and careers section to find out more about our wide range of learning and development opportunities; apprenticeships; our wellbeing package; staff benefits; our commitment to equality, diversity and Inclusion.